Pages

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Urbana Arts Grants Winner!



 I am proud to announce that my proposal "Urbana Pinhole Portrait Project" is one of 23 awards in this year's Urbana Arts Grants Program! I will be making pinhole photographs this spring and summer, with an exhibit in the fall.



The "Urbana Pinhole Portrait Project" will be a series of pinhole portraits made of Urbana residents. I am sure there are many reasons that people choose to live in Urbana. I would like to hear why they decided to live in Urbana in 2013 so a short essay will accompany each image. There will be an exhibit this fall at the Urbana Museum of Photography to showcase the photographs and essays.

Some of my homemade pinhole cameras. From left, a potato chip camera, baby formula camera, wooden 4x5 camera and bulk film canister camera. The last one makes cool round pinhole photos!


 In between taking portraits this year, I will be attending the Urbana's Market at the Square to set up appointments and let people in the area know about the project. I will also be holding pinhole camera workshops where everyone can build their very own pinhole camera!

A photograph of my daughter Kalli taken with a potato chip pinhole camera.

Pinhole portraits are unique because these lens-less images are made with simple light tight containers. In place of a lens, a small pinhole is placed the side of the container to allow light to enter and create the photograph. Due to the simplicity of the process, any light tight object can become a pinhole camera. I like to use everyday objects for my pinhole cameras. There is nothing more magical than taking a photo with a pinhole camera like a potato chip can!

I plan on kicking off the project with a pinhole portrait workshop at the Urbana Museum of Photography during Worldwide Pinhole Day on April 28th. We will be making cameras and taking pictures with pinhole cameras, and all the images can be uploaded to the Worldwide Pinhole Day gallery to be shared with everyone else's images from around the world!

If you would like more information about the workshop, please contact me through email, or stay tuned for more updates on my Facebook Fan page and web page.

If you are an Urbana resident and you would like to be part of this project, please send me an email and I will schedule an appointment to photograph you for the project.

You can reach me at singram@steveingramphoto.com

Stay tuned for more information!

Funding for this project is being provided by the Urbana Public Arts Program.





No comments:

Post a Comment